Contact Links Site Map
Home > FAQ's


The Township staff receives many inquiries about various Township related information. We thought some of the most frequently asked questions and their answers would be helpful to our residents. The FAQ's are separated by their department/category below:

As always, please feel free to call the Township staff with any questions you may have about O'Hara.

General Township Questions

  1. What are the Township's hours of operation? The Township administrative offices are open from 8 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday, the Police department office is open from 8 am to 4 pm, Monday through Friday.
  2. When does Township Council meet? Council meets the first two Tuesdays of each month at 7 pm in the Municipal Building. The first meeting is a workship and the second meeting is the business meeting. Time is set aside at both meetings for communications with residents.
  3. Does the Township have a Facebook page or Twitter account? The Township has both a Facebook page and a Twitter account. Look for us under the Township of O'Hara.
  4. Does the Township provide my water service? No, there are two main water authorities that provide service to most areas of the Township. Fox Chapel Authority provides service to almost all of the east side and portions of the west side of the Township. Hampton Township Municipal Authority provides service to most of the remaining areas on the west side of the Township.
  5. Is the Waterworks Mall in O'Hara Township? No, the Waterworks Mall is actually located in the City of Pittsburgh on property that was once part of the City's water retention system.
  6. Is the Veterans' Hospital located in O'Hara? Yes, the majority of the H. John Heinz III VA Progressive Care Center is located in O'Hara.
^ Return to the top

Public Safety - Police and Fire

  1. If I am out of town will the Police check on my home? Yes, if you fill out a Vacation Home Check Request and submit it to the Police department prior to leaving, the Police will check you home while you are away. The form is available by clicking the following link:
  2. Who are the Township's Volunteer Fire Departments/Companies? The Township is home to Pleasant Valley Volunteer Fire Company and Parkview Volunteer Fire Department and EMS.
^ Return to the top

Public Service - Parks, Roads, Sewers, Trash/Recycling


  1. What are the park hours? From May 1 to October 31 hours are Sunrise to 10 pm; from November 1 through April 30 – Sunrise to Dark
  2. When can O'Hara Township residents rent park shelters or the gazebo? The Township will accept permit applications from Township residents no more than one year in advance of the desired date. This means if you are planning an event for August 4, 2020 you can apply for the shelter permit on August 5, 2019.
  3. Where do I go to rent a park shelter or the gazebo? You must come to the Township office to check the calendars for available dates. If the date you want is available, you may then complete the application and pay any fees/deposits.
  4. How long is my shelter rental? When you rent the gazebo or a shelter, you have access to it for the hours that the park is open the day of rental.
  5. Is the shelter at George J. Sacco Park available for rent? No, the shelter at Sacco Park is available on a first come, first serve basis. The gazebo and shelters at Squaw Valley, Meadow and Woodland Parks are available on a rental basis.
  6. How long is the trail at Squaw Valley Park? The loop trail around the park is 7/10 of a mile. If you want to go a full mile, continue to the trail entrance at the Mews and back.
  7. May my dog be off-leash in Township parks? No, the Township has a leash law and it is unlawful for any owner of dogs (or cats) to permit the animal to run at large anywhere in the Township, including the parks. Dog owners are also required to cleanup after their pets. Clean up stations with pick-up bags are provided in the parks.
  8. What activities are permitted on the tennis court at Squaw Valley Park? The tennis court is for racquet sports only with appropriate athletic footwear as per Township Ordinance. No dogs, rollerblades, bikes, scooters or other non-racquet activities are permitted.


  1. Who is responsible for maintenance (paving, potholes, snow removal) on my street/road? Many of the residential streets/roads are maintained by the Township but both Allegheny County and PennDOT (the State of Pennsylvania) maintain roads located within the Township borders. Following are some examples:
  • Allegheny County maintains: Fox Chapel Road, Old Freeport Road and Dorseyville Road (Kittanning Pike East to Saxonburg Boulevard)
  • PennDOT (State of PA) maintains Dorseyville Road (Kittanning Pike West to Route 8), Freeport Road, Kirkwood Drive (Kittanning Pike to Seifried Lane), Kittanning Pike, Powers Run Road, Saxonburg Boulevard, Seifried Lane and Sharps Hill Road


  1. When do I have to do a Sanitary Sewer Inspection? Township Ordinance No. 1299 reqiures a sanitary sewer certificate be obtained from the Township prior to the sale or transfer of property to other than a spouse.
  2. If my property fails the sewer inspection, how long do I have to correct any problems? Per Township Ordinance No. 1299 the owner has up to one hundred eighty (180) days from the date of inspection to correct any deficiencies whether or not the property has been sold or transferred.
  3. How long is the Sanitary Sewer Certification valid? Once issued, the certification is valid for one year from the date of the initial inspection.


  1. How do I find out when trash/recycling collection is delayed because of a Holiday? The Township puts this information in the Township newsletter, on the Township calendar on our website and on our Facebook page. We also Tweet it on our Twitter account, broadcast it on Nixel and send out a CallFire message. Visit our website to find out how to sign up for these information services. You can also call the Township office at 412-782-1400.
  2. How can I get rid of Household Hazardous Waste or Hard to Recycle items? As part of the Township's residential solid waste and recycling contract with Waste Management you have a convenient opportunity to dispose of your Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) and Hard to Recycle items safely, easily and responsibly. This includes paint, houshold and garden chemicals, automotive fluids and batteries, fluorescent lights, televisions, computers and other electronic equipment. The At Your Door Special Collection Service is a residential service offered by WM to provide year-round HHW collection for you. Waste Management has a flyer that highlights the features of the At Your Door Special Collection Service; a video is also available. Please view the flyer or the video which goes in to detail about material that is accepted for collection and provides information on how to utilize the service. You can then schedule a collection appointment on-line at, by e-mail at or by calling 1-800-449-7587,

^ Return to the top

Community Development

  1. When do I need to get a Building Permit?   Most people realize that building permits are required for new home construction or additions but do not realize that building permits are also required for many smaller projects. These projects include, but are not limited to, interior or exterior alteration projects, fences, decks, sheds, retaining walls, swimming pools and hot tubs. If you are planning any type of construction, make sure you or your contractor contact the Township early in the planning stages to determine exactly what will be required for your project. Construction may be halted if the proper permits are not obtained prior to beginning a project.
  2. How long does it take to get a building permit? State law allows 30 days for the issuance of a building permit. Township staff tries to turn them around as quickly as possible but it is best to apply as far in advance of the project start as possible.
  3. Do I need a permit to have a recreational fire in my backyard? Yes, Annual Recreational FIre Permit Applications can be found by clicking: There is no fee associated with this permit.
  4. Are permits required to cut down a tree? As long as the tree is on your property and you are not timbering (logging or harvesting trees for their timber value) the Township does not require you to have a permit to cut down a tree.

Please contact the Township Building/Code Enforcement Department at 412-782-1400 or e-mail with any concerns or questions you may have regarding construction projects or building permits.

^ Return to the top


Information on the O'Hara Township website is provided as a service to the community. Township rules and regulations are subject to change and the information on this web site should be considered as general guidance only. While the Township attempts to post current and useful information, not all information may be complete, accurate or up to date. In general, inquiries (including reference to official documents) can and should be made to the Township before proceeding with plans or programs.